Marko Asplund wrote:
Chris Schultz wrote:

On 10/31/12 3:55 PM, Marko Asplund wrote:
There are at least 3 different approaches for configuring Apache
httpd 2.2 to act as a reverse proxy for Tomcat 7.0:

a) mod_proxy_http b) mod_proxy_ajp c) mod_jk

What are the current differences and tradeoffs with using these
alternatives?
I recently updated http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Connectors#Q2. YMMV.

Excellent, thanks!
I think this will be very useful information for people trying to decide
between these options.

Quite a few writers appear recommend mod_jk if performance and HA
features are critical. But Apache 2.2 mod_proxy supports some load
balancing and failover features through mod_proxy_balancer.
mod_jk also supports lb and failover; just configured differently.

On different web resources an oft-cited advantage of mod_jk appeared to be
its lb and failover features, which was why I thought I'd mention mod_proxy
providing similar features.

Also, mod_cache can be used to offload static resource serving from
the back-end to provide something similar to JkMount.
I suppose you are saying that they can be configured equivalently?

Yes, exactly.
Both provide a feature that allows you to serve static content without
invoking the backend.
This is achieved through mod_cache when using mod_proxy and with
the JkMount configuration parameter when using mod_jk by.

What about all the "fine" features of mod_jk ? (such as cping/cpong, timeouts, retries, etc.). I do not see any of this mentioned in the on-line mod_proxy_ajp documentation. Is it that these settings are not available with mod_proxy_ajp, or simply that the documentation is incomplete ?