Using:

Linux main 3.2.0-32
Tomcat 7.0.32
Java version "1.7.0_09"
(working through Eclipse Juno)

I've been assigned what should have been a pretty simple task, a jnlp launcher
following a login to the web server.  I've implemented what seemed to me to be
the simplest solution - form based login going through j_security_check, after
which I pass the jsessionid through a .jnlp built on the fly.  This would pass
the session to the Java Web Start and let me pass it as well to me
application.  I was planning on having the application perform the login
manually if it isn't given a working session on startup.  I'm not having a lot
of luck.

I believe that I have the user login bit setup correct as I see the failed
login when I enter the incorrect login.  When I enter a working name/password
pair I get a 408 - timeout.  That goes away if I change web.xml:

    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
        <tracking-mode>URL</tracking-mode>
    </session-config>

to the cookie form:

    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
        <tracking-mode>COOKIE</tracking-mode>
    </session-config>

After that everything works as expected, so it appears that the 408 is related
to the URL tracking.  I've tried this with the internal browser in Eclipse as
well as Firefox and get the same problem.  I'm guessing the j_security_check
isn't redirecting with a rewritten URL and instead returns a timeout on a
successful login.

If this is a known behaviour I have not been able to find anything after
spending a lot of time in google (more people seem to be trying to get rid of
the url rewrite), but since this is a new environment I may not have a grip of
the appropriate tags to be searching.