On Monday, November 19, 2012 12:33:26 PM Brian Burch wrote:

> This issue was discussed at length on the users mailing list under this
> topic: "AuthenticatorBase setChangeSessionIdOnAuthentication without
> cookies"
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/201209.mbox/%3C505EDA8
> 7.1080...@pingtoo.com%3E
>

> Authenticated access to restricted resources can only happen if the
> browser tells tomcat the session id when it requests ANY of those
> restricted resources. This is usually done via cookies, but when cookies
> are turned off the webapp has to keep reminding the browser of the
> session id - especially if the default behaviour is being used by the
> Container, when the session id is deliberately changed after authentication.
>
> Your protected jsp's MUST ALL use response.encodeURL() if you want your
> webapp to work properly without cookies.

OK, my confusion came from accessing the root and expecting the web.xml
<welcome-file> tag to take care of my base page.  Is there a reason it doesn't
get an encodeURL()?  When I make my initial page something that exists *and*
encode the j_security_check things work, at least I get to my next stopping
point with a .jnlp (I'd like javaws to load securely *then* access the
servlets securely.  JWS documentation seems lacking and a couple of posts over
here:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=944&start=0

haven't elicited any enlightening responses.

> When using an IDE you need to be careful of classloader issues. Tomcat's
> classloader environment is sophisticated and I sometimes encounter
> strange behaviour under netbeans because it tries to cache classes for
> speed, but this sometimes means my changes do not seem to have worked.
> This can always be proved by restarting netbeans.

That's why I mentioned it.  When I get confused at a response I stop the web
server from inside Eclipse, when that fails to unconfuse me I exit Eclipse and
start back up.   So far I haven't seen much effect, i.e. my confusion remains,
but at least I can break for coffee.

> I don't use eclipse, so I can't comment on your specific problems.
> However, you can simplify your debugging by running tomcat standalone
> and attaching your debugger to it.

I may get to that point, probably when I'm testing the .war

Thanks for looking at this.