Here's some updated observations after a not quite incident (CPU and
memory spiked but the app is still running):

1. Yesterday we had a 90% CPU spike at a time where there was absolutely
no server traffic. Verified through both the HTTP logs and the mod_jk
logs. The CPU spiked and recovered back to average levels.
2. Used memory spiked at 10GB from a pre incident average of 500MB
throughout 2 busy days without incident
3. Used memory has only gone back down to 4GB and is holding at this level
4. The Used physical memory went up from 2GB to 14GB and has stayed there
5. Garbage collector time spikes to 24.0. I think with JavaMelody it means
that GC took 24% of  of the CPU??

So I think our issues are related to GC. Is there a way to trigger more
frequent GC which will hopefully be less resource intensive?

And why have the memory usage levels not recovered?

Z.