On Feb 2, 2013 10:59 PM, "Zoran Avtarovski" <zo...@sparecreative.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Chris,
>
> The crash is more a hang than a crash as we don't get OOME. The app just
> stops responding and the monitoring data shows spikes in memory and CPU to
> 100% and then nothing. I can't find anything in the linux system logs or
> in the tomcat or java logs.
>
> My hope is that once I can work out what's happening I can then fix the
> cause, but at the moment I'm flying blind on this.
>
> Z.

I know this is asking for too much or might be impossible to do but process
of elimination.. If it was possible to eliminate or prevent web services
from executing or being accessed, and no spikes occur, then problem is
there. I think you said earlier that system was stable on Windows and
migration to Linux was driven by the web services requirement. I wonder
what kind of processing in those web services which may be causing this. A
lot of database access, even more database access now because of web
services? Did some developer try to add a manual call to gc, somewhere in
the app to free resources. Maybe you can poll any / all developers or
search code accordingly. Does the spike occur at certain time of day, maybe
some code executed on schedule, or does it occur after certain activity
occur in the app either by endusers or background processing?