From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: 06 February 2013 15:30
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat

mohit.g...@rbs.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using a tomcat server on a Linux machine.
> Is there any way I can run multiple instances of apached daemon process so
> that if daemon for environment A do not have access to files for environment
> B.
> In short I want to run multiple daemon processes.

Hi. No offense but the way you are asking your question tends to suggest that
you have a limited understanding of how this stuff works. Here are some
pointers :

You seem to be talking about 2 different products :
1) Apache httpd : is a general purpose webserver, made by people who belong to
the Apache httpd project (see : httpd.apache.org)
2) Apache Tomcat : is also a webserver, but mainly a "java servlet container",
designed primarily to run web applications written in java.  It is made by
other people who belong to the Apache Tomcat project (see : tomcat.apache.org)

(And see "www.apache.org" for what "Apache" really is).

Either one of Apache httpd or Apache tomcat can act as a webserver, serve
static content and run web applications.
They can also work in combination, with Apache httpd acting as a front-end to
one or more Tomcat servers.  If the client browsers always access the front-end
Apache httpd server, and the front-end Apache httpd server then distributes the
work to several back-end tomcat servers, this is called "proxying" and/or "load
balancing".  There are also other programs (or hardware boxes) that can act as
"proxy" and/or "load-balancer".

In both cases (Apache httpd or tomcat), you /can/ run several instances on a
same host.
It is only a matter of configuration.
Generally-speaking however, if the problem is that one instance is not enough
to support the load that is put on it, multiplying the instances on the same
host will not help.
You will need either to improve your applications (so that they respond
better), or use a bigger machine, or multiply the hosts and divide the load
between them (using a load-balancing configuration).

If the question is about separating the documents or applications into several
independent "domains", so that one "website" does not have access to the data
of another website, then in both cases the solution may be to run one single
instance, but use what is know as "virtual hosts" (where one instance responds
to several hostnames, each having its own documents and applications).

So now, would you like to rephrase your question more precisely ?

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. The
Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. is authorised and regulated by the
De Nederlandsche Bank and has its seat at Amsterdam, the
Netherlands, and is registered in the Commercial Register under
number 33002587. Registered Office: Gustav Mahlerlaan 350,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. and
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc are authorised to act as agent for each
other in certain jurisdictions.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the
message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily
secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland
N.V. including its affiliates ("RBS group") does not accept responsibility
for changes made to this message after it was sent. For the protection
of RBS group and its clients and customers, and in compliance with
regulatory requirements, the contents of both incoming and outgoing
e-mail communications, which could include proprietary information and
Non-Public Personal Information, may be read by authorised persons
within RBS group other than the intended recipient(s).

viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted
by the RBS group in this regard and the recipient should carry out such
virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Visit our website at www.rbs.com