Chris, I'd like to differ with you on this last point.
As someone who's been a developer, support person, and admin, I've got a pretty
good perspective on this subject.
While servers may be cheap, they will never be cheap enough to overcome poor
programming practices. I've worked with systems so poorly designed that we
couldn't purchase a system big enough to run the software adequately, once you
got above a handful of users. Yes, it's gotten to the point where systems are
much cheaper than they used to be, while developer salaries are only increasing
(supposedly), so wasting time on some minor performance improvement may not be
cost-effective. However, when you aggregate the time that hundreds of users
spend waiting on a response from a poorly designed, unresponsive system, I
think you'll find that it trumps the cost of having the developer spending a
few extra minutes to "get it right the first time".