Em 06/02/2013 19:09, Howard W. Smith, Jr. escreveu:
Chris,

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Howard,

It depends on how you configure things. It's usually the lb that makes
that decision, so you configure it there. I would imagine that a good
lb would be able to do things like "guess" the health of the
backend-server and take it out of rotation if it's not healthy. mod_jk
has a variety of health-checks that you can perform to decide when a
Tomcat needs to be abandoned (perhaps temporarily).
good to know, thanks.

Your app fails-over to a 404? Something must be misconfigured. Or were
you saying that your webapp returns a 404 if a query runs too long or
something... that doesn't sound optimal.

Misconfigured? Maybe not configured quite yet as I only have 2 months
experience with Tomcat/TomEE. I think the 404 is caused by a query (or
update logic) that runs too long, and agreed, I'm sure some optimizing
is in order, but the endusers don't report this to me at all, as they
are a bit new to using a web application (as they have been using an
MS-DOS dBase IV app ever since 1994/1995; that app just recently got
migrated to a JSF web application, they have been using it since July
2012, and they are quite pleased with the web app), and I do my best
to monitor the logs for exceptions that need to be fixed, and poll the
users about their experience with the app.

Hi!
404 is page not found.
If query runs too long, you will get timeout or Error 500.
Check your web app... the only scenario I can think on 404 due timeout is if your app is querying the name of the next page, and then get an error as response (instead of the name of the page).

Regards,

Edson

I may be the only one that experience the 404 at times. In reading
some of today's responses, I am in full agreement that some
queries/logic may need to be reworked, and definitely endusers will
probably never view/read 35,000 objects on a single http request. As
the developer of the web app, I am probably the only person
selecting-and-viewing 35,000 objects in a single http request. The
data is primarily filtered and/or selected by date, and most-case
scenario, they are selecting data for one date in time, but sometimes,
they may select data via a small range of dates.

I think the user-requested database updates may be the cause, as
google calendar API is used to strategically synchronize
certain/selected data in the database with the organization's google
calendar...so certain employees can view 'the schedule' on their
mobile phones and tablets.