> From: fachhoch [mailto:fachh...@gmail.com]
> Subject: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

> How can I detect in advance that my app is using up all available memory ?

Monitor the JVM with any of a myriad of tools, such as VisualVM.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics

> This out of memory perm gen space error could this be because of some
> memory leak ?

Pretty much guaranteed that one or more of your webapps is leaking.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/MemoryLeakProtection

> can I run gc once in week on running tomcat

Pointless; the JVM is doing that automatically.

> earlier our deployment team used to deploy this and we never
> had out of memory issue.

So what did they break with the most recent deployment?

> is there any maintenance necessary for production servers if so what
> are those ?

Health monitoring is always useful.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Performance_and_Monitoring