I did not any change the default setting for session timeout  so it shoule be
30 minutes.
I do have some jsp very few but these  are used by external application to
check if my app is   alive they call this jsp every 10 minutes or frequent
intervals, also I have  a  jquery time out plugin which  calls a jsp every 5
minutes  to keep session alive also it takes care of timing out  due to
inactivity  .

redeplyments I  do by restarting the server , I always restart the server.

number of session could this be because of

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html#Persistence_Across_Restarts

?