2013/3/26 Cool Techi <cooltec...@outlook.com>:
> 1. What is your <filter-mapping> and in what place in filters chain does you
> filter stand. (Order matters here. If anything calls getParameter() before
> you filter, parameter decoding happens and you are busted).
>
> It is the first in the list of filters.
>
> 2. What kind of request fails, POST or GET or both?
>
> POST is the one in question currently, will test GET.
>
> 3. Have you read the character encodings page of Tomcat FAQ?
>
> Yes
>
> Regards,
> Rohit
>
>> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:14:19 +0400
>> Subject: Re: Encoding Problem
>> From: knst.koli...@gmail.com
>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>
>> 2013/3/26 Cool Techi <cooltec...@outlook.com>:
>> >
>> >         We are working with multiple languages and Korean being one
>> > of them, in our application we have set up encoding both at tomcat level
>> >  and also spring filter for encoding, but for some reason when we do a
>> > request.getParameter in our Struts2 action class we receive only ??.
>> >
>> > Tomcat Encoding
>> >
>> > <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>> >            connectionTimeout="20000" maxThreads="150"
>> >            redirectPort="8443" URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>
>> >

>> > Spring Filter
>> >
>> > <filter>
>> >     <filter-name>encodingFilter</filter-name>
>> >
>> > <filter-class>org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter</filter-class>
>> >     <init-param>
>> >        <param-name>encoding</param-name>
>> >        <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
>> >     </init-param>
>> >     <init-param>
>> >        <param-name>forceEncoding</param-name>
>> >        <param-value>true</param-value>
>> >     </init-param>
>> > </filter>
>> >

>> > EDIT
>> >
>> > So a message which are sent as "안녕하세요 kkk" is received as "????? kkk"
>> >
>> > What could I be missing?
>> >

>> 1. What is your <filter-mapping> and in what place in filters chain
>> does you filter stand. (Order matters here. If anything calls
>> getParameter() before you filter, parameter decoding happens and you
>> are busted).
>>
>> 2. What kind of request fails, POST or GET or both?
>>
>> 3. Have you read the character encodings page of Tomcat FAQ?

1. Do not top-post
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users

2. Is HTML page that submits the form served with UTF-8?

If not, the browser will use a different charset to send the data.

3. You may try debugging the getParameter() call
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing#Debugging

You will see whether parameter decoding occurs, or
it has already occurred at that point, and what data it processes.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko