I was hoping I could avoid that.

Currently the thinking is to unpack the tomcat distribution, re-package
inside a custom installer, and call bin\tomcat7.exe as per the windows
service document.

And indeed this works - to a point. The installer logs says:

C:\Program Files\Our Local Services\tomcat\bin\tomcat7.exe //IS//Tomcat7
--DisplayName="Apache Tomcat 7" --JavaHome="C:\Program Files\Our Local
Services\tomcat\..\java-7-32bit\" --Install="C:\Program Files\Our Local
Services\tomcat\bin\tomcat7.exe" --Jvm="C:\Program Files\Our Local
Services\tomcat\..\java-7-32bit\bin\client\jvm.dll" --StartMode=jvm
--StopMode=jvm --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
--StartParams=start --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
--StopParams=stop

While this installs a service, as soon as I attempt to start it I get a
failure. Nothing is logged by Tomcat, but in the event service I get the
following recorded:

The Apache Tomcat 7 service terminated with service-specific error
Incorrect function..

If I take the full command as executed by the installer, there is no
feedback at the command prompt and the service is shown as installed.

I am therefore lost as to what I'm looking at as a problem. Any ideas where
to go?

Thanks,

James