Michael,

On 5/7/13 4:33 PM, Michael-O wrote:
> Am 2013-05-07 17:20, schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>>
>> Michael,

>>> After reading the slides and your explanation this makes
>>> sense. It's the same issue as "Pool cleaner thread should be
>>> created using the classloader that loaded the pool, not the
>>> context loader (fhanik)" fixed in 7.0.27.
>>>
>>> I will file SR and let you know.
>>
>> Note that you might be able to write your own code to mitigate
>> this problem, depending on exactly when that thread is created.
>> If the timeout thread isn't created until you actually try to
>> issue a query with a timeout, try something like this in a
>> ServletContextListener's contextInitialized method:
>>
>> // NOTE: No resource management is being done in this example
>>
>> // Get the current ClassLoader -- should be WebappClassLoader
>> ClassLoader cl = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();
>>
>> // WebappClassLoader.getParent should be "common" loader
>> Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader(cl.getParent());
>>
>> try { Connection conn = ...; // However you get a connection
>> Statement s = conn.createStatement(); s.setQueryTimeout(5000); //
>> Doesn't really matter what TO is s.execute("SELECT 1 FROM dual",
>> ); } .... finally { // Pop back to the original ClassLoader
>> Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader(cl); }
>>
>> This is the exact technique that Tomcat's
>> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener uses to prevent ClassLoader
>> leaks.
>
> Yes, this looks like the way JDBC Pool does with the Pool Cleaner.
> I would go for this as a last resort.
>
>> A couple of notes:
>>
>> 1. This won't work under a SecurityManager. If you need to
>> operate under a SecurityManager, have a look at the
>> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener code and adapt it to the above.
>>
>> 2. If the Oracle driver launches the thread when the DataSource
>> is created, it might happen too early for a
>> ServletContextListener to intervene. In that case, simply modify
>> the JreMEmoryLeakPreventionListener code directly. Patches are
>> always welcome.
>
> Not, it is not. I have attached VisualVM to Tomcat VM and have seen
> that the thread is forked when the first query is executed.

That's good news: it means that if you need it fixed *right away*, you
don't need to hack-and-recompile Tomcat: you can just do it in your
own ServletContextListener.

>> 3. If Oracle fixes this bug, Tomcat should not prevent against
>> it. If Oracle refuses to acknowledge/fix/etc. this bug, then it
>> may make sense to include such code in
>> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener, but it should probably be done
>> in such a way that a) it's not enabled by default and b) the
>> query used for triggering the Thread to be created is
>> user-selectable with maybe a reasonable default (like "SELECT 1
>> FROM dual", as that tends to be valid in most RDBMSs).
>
> I am already in contact with an Oracle engineer who has received a
> demo WAR file to reproduce this issue. If Oracle won't, maybe some
> generic approach would be advisable but in the in
> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener but rather in Tomcat JDBC Pool
> IMHO.

I think this might be a rather esoteric thing to exercise, but one
could certainly add it as an interceptor that is not enabled by default.

> I do not know how other RDBMS vendors implement the timeout
> function.

MySQL has taken some time to fix similar/related bugs, but is
(eventually) willing to fix them:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=65909
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=36565