On 19/05/2013 05:57, Nick Williams wrote:
> Can one of the very knowledgeable developers that have been
> discussing memory leaks in the last few days (re: Possible
> false-postive with JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener and Tomcat's JDBC
> Pool and OracleTimeoutPollingThread) chime in on this Log4j 2 bug
> [1]?
>
> Log4j 2 appears to be registering a shutdown hook that, I believe,
> will result in a memory leak in Tomcat. The
> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener does not detect it (which might be a
> separate Tomcat bug, assuming I'm right that it's a memory leak). I
> don't know nearly as much about class loaders and memory leaks in a
> web application as some of the guys I've read talking on here the
> last few days, and it would be helpful for us to get the
> knowledgeable opinion of one or more Tomcat developers about how to
> solve this.

It looks like Ralph has already answered this [2].

If log4j2 is initialised by the webapp, it needs to be shutdown by the
webapp.

> (Note: I don't normally post to both lists, but since the memory leak
> topic was occurring on the user's list, and I also wanted to get the
> attention of as many developers as possible, I made an exception this
> time.)

No matter how important you think your issue is, please do not cross
post. As a general guide, if you aren't sure, use the users list. The
committers are all active or lurking here so they will all see it and
will move the discussion to the dev list of necessary.

Mark

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-223

[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-223?focusedCommentId=13661501&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13661501