On May 19, 2013, at 3:33 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 19/05/2013 05:57, Nick Williams wrote:
>> Can one of the very knowledgeable developers that have been
>> discussing memory leaks in the last few days (re: Possible
>> false-postive with JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener and Tomcat's JDBC
>> Pool and OracleTimeoutPollingThread) chime in on this Log4j 2 bug
>> [1]?
>>
>> Log4j 2 appears to be registering a shutdown hook that, I believe,
>> will result in a memory leak in Tomcat. The
>> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener does not detect it (which might be a
>> separate Tomcat bug, assuming I'm right that it's a memory leak). I
>> don't know nearly as much about class loaders and memory leaks in a
>> web application as some of the guys I've read talking on here the
>> last few days, and it would be helpful for us to get the
>> knowledgeable opinion of one or more Tomcat developers about how to
>> solve this.
>
> It looks like Ralph has already answered this [2].
>
> If log4j2 is initialised by the webapp, it needs to be shutdown by the
> webapp.

Ralph may have responded, but I don't believe it's the right answer. Log4j 1
never required a listener to be configured to be shut down properly when an
application is undeployed. It should be possible to do this without a listener.
Just a thought, is there a way to detect if a ClassLoader is being shut
down/unloaded? Could a `finalize` method be used instead of a shutdown
hook/listener? I'm fairly confident the finalize method would always be called
when the application is undeployed (though I could be wrong). What I don't know
is if it is guaranteed to be called in non-web applications when the JVM just
shuts down.

>> (Note: I don't normally post to both lists, but since the memory leak
>> topic was occurring on the user's list, and I also wanted to get the
>> attention of as many developers as possible, I made an exception this
>> time.)
>
> No matter how important you think your issue is, please do not cross
> post. As a general guide, if you aren't sure, use the users list. The
> committers are all active or lurking here so they will all see it and
> will move the discussion to the dev list of necessary.

My apologies.