Jaroslav,

On 5/23/13 4:37 AM, Jaroslav Fikker wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I encountered a problem with compilation of Unix daemon (jsvc)
> against IBM Java from Tomcat 7.0.40. I used these commands:
>
> cd /opt/tomcat/bin tar xvfz commons-daemon-native.tar.gz cd
> commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix /configure
>
> and I got this output: *** Current host *** checking build system
> type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking host system type...
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking cached host system type... ok ***
> C-Language compilation tools *** checking for gcc... gcc checking
> for C compiler default output file name... a.out checking whether
> the C compiler works... yes checking whether we are cross
> compiling... no checking for suffix of executables... checking for
> suffix of object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C
> compiler... yes checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes checking for
> gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed checking for ranlib...
> ranlib checking for strip... strip *** Host support *** checking C
> flags dependant on host system type... ok *** Java compilation
> tools *** checking for JDK os include directory... Cannot find
> jni_md.h in /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-ibm.x86_64/ configure: error:
> You should retry --with-os-type=SUBDIR
>
> I found information that the reason is: IBM java uses
> $JAVA_HOME/include/jniport.h instead of $JAVA_HOME/include/jni_md.h
> in Oracle java. When I created a link jni_md.h to jniport.h I can
> successfully compile jsvc but when I try to start Tomcat server I
> have a problem with class loading (Java class not found).
>
> Is there some fix or recommendation for compilation Tomcat Unix
> daemon with IBM Java? Thank you very much for your help.

As for the configure script, it seems like it is a bug to look for
jni_md.h, as it's not an official part of JNI.

configure seems to go through great pains to determine the value of
JAVA_OS (which is the platform-specific subdirectory for header files)
and then completely ignores the value of JAVA_OS. Honestly, I think it
should probably be removed, but I'd like to hear a comment from
someone more well-versed in jsvc.

If you are having a problem with actually running jscv, please start a
new thread with a new subject for a separate question.