On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> On 9/26/13 9:18 AM, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Anu Prab <anupr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Tomcat version 7.
>>
>> For future reference, please include the exact version of Tomcat
>> you are running.  There are 40+ different versions.
>>
>>> Is it possible to update connection pool properties without
>>> restarting the Tomcat server?
>>
>> Please also include specific details like which connection pool
>> are you using.  There are two included with Tomcat, DBCP and
>> tomcat-jdbc.
>>
>> To give a general answer to your question, you can update some of
>> the properties through JMX.  It'll depend on the version of Tomcat
>> and which pool you are using as to which properties you can update.
>> Try connecting with jconsole or jvisualvm w/MBeans plugin and see
>> if the properties you need are exposed and editable.
>
> While most properties are not immutable (e.g. you can change their
> values via JMX), changing them usually has no effect because the
> connection pool is not re-initialized when those values change.

Good point.  It's important to be realistic about what you can do at
runtime.

> Perhaps Anu can give us a use case for when this kind of thing would
> be appropriate... what would you want to change during runtime in a
> stable system?

+1 definitely need more info here.

Dan

Hi,

The Tomcat version I am using is 7.0.40 and the connection pool is
tomcat-jdbc.

Well, one case would be to increase the maxActive property.

-Anu