On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Daniel,

> On 9/26/13 9:18 AM, Daniel Mikusa wrote:

>> On Sep 26, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Anu Prab <anupr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am using Tomcat version 7.

>> For future reference, please include the exact version of Tomcat you

>> are running.  There are 40+ different versions.

>>> Is it possible to update connection pool properties without

>>> restarting the Tomcat server?

>> Please also include specific details like which connection pool are

>> you using.  There are two included with Tomcat, DBCP and tomcat-jdbc.

>> To give a general answer to your question, you can update some of the

>> properties through JMX.  It'll depend on the version of Tomcat and

>> which pool you are using as to which properties you can update.

>> Try connecting with jconsole or jvisualvm w/MBeans plugin and see if

>> the properties you need are exposed and editable.

> While most properties are not immutable (e.g. you can change their

> values via JMX), changing them usually has no effect because the

> connection pool is not re-initialized when those values change.

Good point.  It's important to be realistic about what you can do at
runtime.

> Perhaps Anu can give us a use case for when this kind of thing would

> be appropriate... what would you want to change during runtime in a

> stable system?

+1 definitely need more info here.

Dan

Hi,

Sorry, please ignore my previous mail. My bad.

The Tomcat version I am using is 7.0.40 and the connection pool is
tomcat-jdbc.

Well, one case would be to increase the maxActive property so that if I
want to increase this threshold limit, how do I do it?.

-Anu

Can the same thing be achieved using a servlet? If so, please guide.