On Nov 7, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Crystal Maramba <cmara...@acumenllc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting ready to deploy the Second Instance of Tomcat on the same server
> using different IP addresses.
>
> \Tomcat\Instance1 (IP Address: xx.xx.xx.x1)
> \Tomcat\Instance2 (IP Address: xx.xx.xx.x2)
>
> I have a few question, see below:
>

> 1)     For the Tomcat server ports, I will be using the Connector Port and
> Redirect port to bind it to a specific IP address by using
> "address="xx.xx.xx.xx"". Is there a way to use the same Shutdown Port and AJP
> Port to bind it to a different IP address? Or do I have to change the
> Shutdown and AJP port number.

The shutdown address can be specified in Tomcat 7, not in Tomcat 6.

   https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/server.html

All of the AJP connectors (Tomcat 6 & 7) support an "address" attribute.  See
here.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html#Standard_Implementations

> 2)     Keystore:
>
> a.       I am going to be using https, can I use the same .keystore to import
> the certificate?

Not exactly sure I follow you here.  Are you asking if you can configure the
connector for both instances of Tomcat to point to the same keystore file?  As
far as I know, that's OK.

> b.       If I move the .keystore to another location outside of Tomcat home,
> will Tomcat be able to see the .keystore if I specify the path within the
> server.xml file for .keystore path?

Yes.  See keystoreFile.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html#SSL_Support

> c.       Should I create a new .keystore for the new instance?

That's up to you.  Do whatever makes the most sense for your setup.

> d.       What is the best practice for this?

It's tough to say what is a "best practice", since most environments are
different and what makes the most sense for you likely depends on your unique
environment.

What I can say is that I often see SSL terminated in front of Tomcat with a
dedicated hardware device or Apache HTTPD.  It performs well, plus it makes
sense in setups with multiple Tomcat instances because there is already
something in front of the Tomcat instances to load balance across them.

That doesn't mean you have to do that though.  You could terminate the SSL with
Tomcat and people do.  If you go this route, I'd suggest using the APR or NIO
connector though.  The APR connector performs the best with SSL, but is a
little trickier to setup.  The NIO doesn't perform as good as the APR, but I
believe it's better than the BIO connector and it's easy to setup.

> 3)     Does anyone know a way to encrypt the clear-text passwords specified
> in tom-user.xml for the Tomcat manager and server.xml file for .keystore?

I don't know of anything for the tomcat-users.xml file.  It's my understanding
that this file is not recommended for production use, so you should probably
look at using a JDBC or LDAP realm instead.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/realm.html

Another option would be to write a custom realm that decrypts the passwords.

Having said that, I believe the general suggestion here is to apply proper unix
permissions on the files to control access to them.  For example, you should
set the owner to be the user that is running Tomcat, which should *not* be root
and set the permission to r/w only for the owner.

Dan