> From: Leo Donahue - OETX [mailto:leodona...@mail.maricopa.gov]
> Subject: parallel deployment question

> When I parallel deploy demo##001.war, in my servlet, when I use:
> servletContext.getContextPath();  it prints:  /demo

> Why doesn't it print /demo##001 ?

Because the context path is the same for all versions - that's the whole point.
 If the context path were different, the *client* would have to know that to
reach the new version.

> If I do:  servletContext.getRealPath(getServletName());  it prints:
> C:\ApacheTomcat\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\demo##001\servlet-mapping-name

The getRealPath() API is an abomination and should never be used.  Some servlet
deployments are on platforms without file systems, which is why it's allowed to
return null.

> I wanted to grab the demo##001 name and stick in the corner of my web
> apps running in development, so users can see which version is deployed.

Your webapp should have a build or version number included as part of your
build mechanism.  That number should not be associated with the deployment
mechanism.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.