Hello Christopher,

Delegating to log4j/logback/java.util.logging could be an option but it
would still greatly benefit of a refactoring to split the existing
AccessLogValve into an AbstractAccessLogValve with the formatting logic and
an AccessLogValve that would keep the logic to write in the file.

With this split, the <MyLoggingFramework>AccessLogValve would extend the
AbstractAccessLogValve.

Regarding the existing Syslog implementations in Log4j and Logback, they
don't yet allow user to customise the syslog header fields but I plan to
propose to contribute these enhancements.

Finally, regarding the idea of injecting a logging framework jar in Tomcat
classloader, I feel it makes things pretty difficult to understand with the
risk of collision of the jars.

As a conclusion, I would be very happy to contribute to the Tomcat project
either the full SyslogAccessLogValve or just the split of the existing
AccessLogValve into an AbstractAccessLogValve with the formatting logic and
a AccessLogValve with the logic to write in files.

Cyrille

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Christopher Schultz <