Raquib,

On 1/28/14, 10:03 AM, Raquib Hasan wrote:
> I am creating a tomcat cluster following helps I found online. My
> question is, do I have to use the Apache(mod_jk) for session
> replication?

No.

> Is it possible to use F5 load balancer directly bypassing the
> Apache?

Yes. (Note this is not "bypassing" Apache [httpd]... it's simply not
using it at all. Use of httpd is common, but certainly not required by
any stretch.

The lb is not involved in session replication.

If you want to use sticky sessions, you'll need to properly configure
the lb to understand how to "stick" the sessions to a back-end server.

> Primary purpose of the cluster is fail over. Load balancing is not
> needed. I think session replication is needed for a successful fail
> over.

That depends upon the nature of your webapp. Note that
session-replication is time-consuming and puts certain constraints on
the objects you store in the session.

> I am thinking like, there would be a LB VIP that the client
> requests would be communicating with. The sticky session would be
> enabled in the LB and there is no need of apache web server in
> between. Is this the right way of thinking?

What do you mean VIP?

How many back-end servers were you considering using?

> I could not find the answer any where. Every example I found online
> starts with an apache web server.

Using mod_jk (or mod_proxy_ajp) just makes everything easier given the
configuration options, etc. All of the ASF documentation covers the
use of httpd because it's freely-available and supported by the same
organization. The ASF isn't going to maintain configuration
instructions for a produce sold and supported by a commercial entity.