Thanks for your reply. What happened actually was there was a sudden
increase in invalid sessions as I said before and we manually deleted those
sessions using the tomcat manager. And then it appeared to be normal. But
then it occurred three times in last two weeks. It' s a production
environment.
My question is not how to stop some thing so that it could stop the ping
requests but I would like to know what could be the cause for it and how
can I find the cause? Please help me.

Thanks,
Kumar.