On Feb 9, 2014, at 4:27 AM, Leon Rosenberg <rosenberg.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think some things are mixed up here. Since you are behind a load
> balancer, its unlikely that you experience ping (icmp) DoS, at least that
> it goes through till your server.
> First, setup access logs in server.xml
>
> <!-- Access log processes all example.      Documentation at:
> /docs/config/valve.html      Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using
> pattern="common" -->
>
> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
> directory="logs"
>
>        prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
>
>        pattern="%h %{X-Forwarded-For}i %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />
>
> Note: usually, if the load balancer is configured properly, tomcat will see
> the IP of the original request. If not, it will be send in a header field
> (in example X-Forwarded-For). If your load balancer doesn't send a header
> field - change its configuration to send one, you will need it anyway.

+1 Get your access logs working properly.

One other option to do this would be to use a RemoteIpValve.  This will take
the X-Forwarded-* information from your proxy and override the corresponding
request attributes.  It’s a nice option because it fixes the request
information for both your application and the access logs.

   http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_IP_Valve

> Check that the page your loadbalancer uses to check whether tomcat behind
> is available doesn't create a new session (session=false if its a jsp,
> don't use request.getSession() if its a servlet).

+1  I see this happen a lot.

Beyond your load balancer, another possibility is that web crawlers are hitting
your application.  These bots often do not track session cookies and a single
bot that crawls your site can create quite a few sessions.  Here’s a link to a
article Mark Thomas wrote that describes the problem further.

   http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2011/05/18/crawler-session-manager-valve

You can usually tell if bots are the culprit by looking at the user agent
reported in the requests.  Well behaved web crawlers will have a recognizable
user agent.

One way you can combat this is with Tomcat’s CrawlerSessionManagerValve.  This
will prevent certain user agent’s from creating sessions.  Here’s a link to the
docs.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Crawler_Session_Manager_Valve

Dan