Hello,

I think some things are mixed up here. Since you are behind a load
balancer, its unlikely that you experience ping (icmp) DoS, at least that
it goes through till your server.
First, setup access logs in server.xml

<!-- Access log processes all example.      Documentation at:
/docs/config/valve.html      Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using
pattern="common" -->

directory="logs"

        prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"

        pattern="%h %{X-Forwarded-For}i %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />

Note: usually, if the load balancer is configured properly, tomcat will see
the IP of the original request. If not, it will be send in a header field
(in example X-Forwarded-For). If your load balancer doesn't send a header
field - change its configuration to send one, you will need it anyway.

Check that the page your loadbalancer uses to check whether tomcat behind
is available doesn't create a new session (session=false if its a jsp,
don't use request.getSession() if its a servlet).

If that doesn't help, download and install moskito following this guide:
http://blog.anotheria.net/msk/the-complete-moskito-integration-guide-step-1/

This will allow you to make charts of your sessions, you will see if there
are any patterns in session increase/decrease, maybe also together with
other values like users or requests.

If you have multiple tomcats you can setup moskito-control and put all the
sessions from all tomcats into one chart:
http://blog.anotheria.net/msk/the-complete-moskito-integration-guide-step-6-moskito-control/

good luck.

regards

Leon.