On Feb 25, 2014, at 10:13 AM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <smithh032...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>wrote:
>
>>>          It might be something as obvious as not having Java EE
>> installed separately.  Perhaps Tomee+ will provide all that is needed.
>>
>> What specifically do you need?  Tomcat is not a full JEE container.  It
>> implements the Servlet, JSP, EL and WebSockets specs.
>>
>>  http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html
>>
>> If you need more then you could look at something like Apache Tomee or
>> Apache Geronimo.
>>

> +1 i agree, if you need full JEE container, my recommendation is TomEE.

I don’t believe Tomee is a “full JEE” container.  As I understand it, it
targets the Web Profile.

   "Apache TomEE, pronounced "Tommy", is an all-Apache stack aimed at Java EE 6
Web Profile certification”

      https://tomee.apache.org/apache-tomee.html

The Web Profile is a subset of the full JEE platform.  This contrasts to Apache
Geronimo which targets the full JEE stack.

> When I was trying to migrate from Glassfish to tomcat, i found it very
> difficult to run my Java EE (JSF) web application via Tomcat 7. I had to
> search for JARs and place them in tomcat/lib folder. Even after locating
> some JARs and placing them in tomcat/lib folder, I failed to run my JSF web
> aplication via tomcat7. I have seen (many) others have success running
> their Java EE (JSF) web application via tomcat7.
>
> After multiple failed attempts in late 2012, trying to run my JSF web
> application in tomcat 7, I downloaded tomee, emailed my questions to tomee
> user list, and finally, i had success running my JSF web application via
> tomee (which is tomcat + java EE, etc...).
>
> I don't recommend using Geronimo. I think Geronimo
> effort/development/maintenance has transitioned to TomEE. Again, I
> definitely recommend TomEE, and tomee user list is just as helpful as
> tomcat user list. many of your tomcat-related questions can/should be asked
> on tomcat list.

I can’t comment on the fitness of either project, as I don’t use them
personally, but my understanding is that they are not competing projects.
TomEE, like the JEE Web Profile, is simply a middle ground between Tomcat and
Geronimo.

Dan