Hello all,
           I have had a difficult time getting Tomcat to start.  I first tried
installing it with xampp.  I had a hunch that the problem was that there might
be a port conflict, so I tried a different ports but still it would not start
from the xampp control panel.  BTW, this is trying to run on Windows 8.1.
           I also downloaded the full version of Netbeans which includes Tomcat
and and Glassfish server bundled with the download.  I am fairly certain that I
told it to install Tomcat during the installation.
         I thought that maybe GlassFish server is interfering with Tomcat, but
I only got that server when I installed Netbeans and I had trouble getting
Tomcat to start even before installing Netbeans which integrated GlassFish
server.
           It might be something as obvious as not having Java EE installed
separately.  Perhaps Tomee+ will provide all that is needed.
Thanks in advance for any feedback,  and help,
Bruce