Danilo Amaral de Oliveira wrote:
Milo,

The video is embedded in a JWPlayer Javascript application.  The video is in
the page too, but you need download it before watch it.

Summarizing, here the simulating process of watching the video:

User access the page              | Tomcat serve the page.

Ok, so there can be 5000 users obtaining that page, and just to annoy you, they all wait before they press the "play" button. (I would imagine that the page does not really "contain" the video when they get it. Or does the fact of simply viewing that page already downloads the video ?)

User clicks "play" button

So now they all click "play" at the same time.

      | Tomcat send the video to the user (it is the same if the user download
it)

That's probably not what really happens, is it ?
I mean, the "play" button must be sending something back to Tomcat.

User watches the video in the JWPlayer windows| The processing task of the
video is in the local user machine - The interaction between the web
application finishes after download the video.

I searched Google for JWPlayer, and went to their homepage, which shows one such video window. I did this with Firefox, with the add-on HttpFox enabled, to see what happens.

Loading the page which contains the window showing the starting image of the video, does not really download the video yet; just a lot of html, stylesheets, javascript, gifs, jpegs etc.. But nothing very large individually.

When you click the "play" button however, /then/ the browser makes a request for the "video/mp4" file (in this case 3.6 MB) and starts downloading and playing it.
The request to the server for the video, is just a "GET" request.
(GET /sEtaWjfL/videos/RxiqSWej-htxObmZA.mp4?5c877a8d15f183bb974dcdccb105a79495b4e5e3b1b6e4cf2779670f5893acd5fb2e2e0fa612e58d66b8691edfddfac95896931e691ea609ff9ddddf808064d5ebbefd315cdd991497cb4a0ea3fdf2a639831982a394 HTTP/1.1)

So is there some application on the server which responds to that GET request from the page, or just the file itself ?

As for the real solution to your problem, considering that this JWPlayer is a commercial application, with probably some technical support available, did you ask the supplier about this ?