From: Hayward, Leigh <lh...@student.le.ac.uk>
Sent: 30 April 2014 15:31
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 8.0.3.0 getting never before seen by google Illegal State
Exception. Sevlets outputting the audio output from the previous runs of the
program instead of the current run.

Hello all,

My Java EE web application takes in multiple audio inputs and outputs
them as a single wav file via an application/octet stream.

It seemingly randomly works correctly (i.e. outputting the correctly
manipulated audio file) but sometimes, the file from a previous
run of the program is output and I get one of these errors:

SEVERE [http-nio-8084-exec-30]
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads The web
application [/MyApp] is still processing a request that has yet to finish. This
is very likely to create a memory leak. You can control the time allowed for
requests to finish by using the unloadDelay attribute of the standard Context
implementation.

and to me seemingly random numbers of these errors:

"SEVERE [http-nio-8084-exec-87]
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process Error processing
request java.lang.IllegalStateException: The resources may not be accessed if
they are not currently started?"

The files always upload correctly to my filesystem, but something is
going wrong when I try to access them in order to process them.

Also when it is downloading the file it appears to the user
to be several MB long despite the file that is output being only a few
thousand KB.

Sometimes when it doesn't work it does not produce these errors, but it
never produces these errors when it works correctly.

I have googled it but there's no reference to the second kind of error
anywhere on the web aside from svn commits by tomcat developers,
so while I am a total newbie to mailing lists, after exhausting
stackoverflow this seemed like the only place to turn to. I'm
developing a java EE web application in Netbeans using Tomcat
8.0.3.0 on a windows 7 operating system.

The web application is very basic and allows users to upload files via a
multipart html form. This then posts to a servlet which first uploads these
files to the programs file system and then accesses them, concatenates
them together and saves them back on the file system.
It's better explained by this diagram http://imgur.com/Oacd4gq
Could it be that the files are not being uploaded fully before they are
being accessed?

Sorry if this email looks like shit i'm being forced to use outlook
by my university!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Best wishes to you all regardless,
Leigh