Rene Scheffler wrote:
Hey!

I installed apache-tomcat-7.0.47 on debian and also installed and
configured railo 4.1.1.009.
I added the servlet for CFML and now i ended up with lots of WEB-INF
directories in my tomcat directory and the subdirectories.
A find gives me the following output :
./lib/WEB-INF
./bin/WEB-INF
./work/WEB-INF
./logs/WEB-INF
./temp/WEB-INF
./conf/WEB-INF
./default/examples/WEB-INF
./default/WEB-INF
./default/manager/WEB-INF
./default/host-manager/WEB-INF
./default/ROOT/WEB-INF
./default/docs/appdev/sample/web/WEB-INF
./default/docs/WEB-INF
./webapps/WEB-INF
./webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF

The tomcat takes quite a while (350s) to start up and this is really
starting to annoy me. So, whats this and what are some common settings to
achieve a faster start up of the tomcat?

Here is a 3-part response, each part to be considered separately :

1) a "WEB-INF" sub-directory, is a normal sub-directory of any "web
application".
So, *some* of the ones which you list above, are expected and normal.
(Like ./webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF for example)
But, for example, it is not expected to have a (tomcat_dirrectory)/bin/WEB-INF
directory.

2) it looks very much as if the installation script used for whatever you added to Tomcat, did not do its job correctly, and added a "WEB-INF" directory "everywhere", even where it should not have done that.
Can you de-install that package, and see if it removes all these things ?
If not, then I would suggest to remove Tomcat completely (and all the subdirectories and links which the package installed just about everywhere), and start anew.
A question : did you also use a Debian package (with apt-get e.g.) to install
CFML ?)

3) the question of Tomcat taking a long time to start may be due to all the unexpected stuff above. So I would keep that question for later, when your installation is clean again.