Hey guys,

i just added "some" entries to the default web.xml and server.xml.
More precisely it was (sorry, i don't know how to mark code pastings)
<CODE>

<servlet>

  <servlet-name>RailoCFMLServlet</servlet-name>

  <description>CFML runtime Engine</description>

  <servlet-class>railo.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet</servlet-class>

  <init-param>

<param-name>configuration</param-name>

<param-value>{web-root-directory}/WEB-INF/railo</param-value>

<description>Configuration directory</description>

</init-param>

  <!-- init-param>

<param-name>railo-server-root</param-name>

<param-value>.</param-value>

<description>directory where railo root directory is stored</description>

</init-param -->

  <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>

</servlet>

<servlet>

  <servlet-name>RailoAMFServlet</servlet-name>

  <description>AMF Servlet for flash remoting</description>

  <servlet-class>railo.loader.servlet.AMFServlet</servlet-class>

  <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>

</servlet>

<servlet>

  <servlet-name>RailoFileServlet</servlet-name>

  <description>File Servlet for simple files</description>

  <servlet-class>railo.loader.servlet.FileServlet</servlet-class>

  <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
</servlet>
</CODE>

after the servlet definitions

and

<CODE>

<servlet-mapping>

  <servlet-name>RailoCFMLServlet</servlet-name>

  <url-pattern>*.cfm</url-pattern>

</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-mapping>

  <servlet-name>RailoCFMLServlet</servlet-name>

  <url-pattern>*.cfml</url-pattern>

</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-mapping>

  <servlet-name>RailoCFMLServlet</servlet-name>

  <url-pattern>*.cfc</url-pattern>

</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-mapping>

  <servlet-name>RailoAMFServlet</servlet-name>

  <url-pattern>/flashservices/gateway/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
</CODE>

after the servlet mappings

plus i added these lines

<CODE>

<welcome-file>index.cfm</welcome-file>

<welcome-file>index.cfml</welcome-file>

<error-page>

  <error-code>404</error-code>

  <location>{web-root-directory}/error_pages/404.html</location>
</error-page>
</CODE>

So this was done by me and by hand, not by script.
I got this information on what to add from here :
http://corfield.org/entry/Railo_on_Tomcat__multiweb .

So as far as i can interpret this, i think its this line
<param-value>{web-root-directory}/WEB-INF/railo</param-value>

that was responsible for creating the WEB-INFS. When i removed all these
lines from above and the global web.xml in the /opt/tomcat/conf/ directory
and put it into the website specific web.xml, it did not create any WEB-INF
directorys in /opt/tomcat/ at all.

Thanks for posting http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp André,
i already took a look into it and when i removed every website definition
except for one, the startup was around 55secs.
I read about deploying the site parallel and not one after one.
It referred to the 'startStopThreads' option and when i looked up at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html question marks
came up.
As im quite new to the Tomcat thing im not confident with every
configuration (Jetty was much more easy for me imho).
My current Host definition in the server.xml looks like this (blanked out
the details) :

</Host>
        <Host name="www.xxxxx.xxx" appBase="">
        <Context path=""
        docBase="/mnt/webroot/sites/xxxxx"/>
</Host>

Is there anything missing?

Im sorry for posting all these "noobish" questions and maybe forgetting
some rules in here, this is the first time using a maillist for me.
Thanks for your help and clearups, i really appreciate it!

kind regards,

René

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13/08/2014 21:10, André Warnier wrote:
> > Mark Thomas wrote:

> the
> WEB-INF
> >>
> >> Not possible. Tomcat never adds a WEB-INF folder to a directory that
> >> doesn't already contain one.
> >>

> > So, for directories that already contain one, it sometimes does ?
> > (Just kidding)
>
> :)
>
> I was trying to dance around the fact that Tomcat will create those
> directories when expanding a WAR file so I didn't want to use the
> blanket, and not strictly correct "Tomcat never creates a WEB-INF
> directory".
>
> > Getting back to what Rene wrote above, my guess would be that whatever
> > script was installing CFML, may have read the web.xml/server.xml,
> > misinterpreted it/them, and decided to ad these WEB-INF directories
> > where it shouldn't have.
>
> That sounds possible. I just wanted to make clear it wasn't Tomcat.
>
> Mark

René Scheffler

Auszubildender

Fon:    +49 30 609 8790 14
Office: +49 30 609 8790 0
Mobil:  +49 176 207 970 42

E-Mail: rene.scheff...@pixeltex.com

Internet: http://www.PIXELTEX.com <http://www.pixeltex.com/>

PIXELTEX GmbH, Albrechtstrasse 18, 10117 Berlin, Germany

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 142440 B

Geschäftsführer: Louis Brauer