James,
The question becomes "How does the war file get to the Web/FTP site?"
My supposition is from your local system through the same narrow pipe, so there
is no real solution, you've just moved the delay to another step.
If that's not the case, then there are myriad ways.
The manager app only deploys war files in one of two ways: already on the
server, or from the system running the browser.
So it sounds like some form of RDP is going to be necessary.
Jeff