Olivier,

if Apache and Tomcat are running on the same machine, the tcpdump
won't capture the trafic because the proxy requests are using the
loopback interface and not the ethernet port.

Instead of using the "workers" properties and the mod-jk section, you
could try with the ProxyPass syntax (easier, faster for your need)

LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so

    ProxyPass /         ajp://localhost:8009/
    ProxyPassReverse /  ajp://localhost:8009/

Then, try a ' netstat -an ' to see the ESTABLISHED, it should look
like this with at least one ESTABLISHED line

tcp        0      0 :::8009                     :::*
     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8009       ::ffff:127.0.0.1:39908
     ESTABLISHED

regards