Red,

On 2/26/15 5:28 PM, Red wrote:
> On 02/26/2015 12:29 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>> Thank You all who responded; Did not want to waste your time,
>>> hence delayed response.
>>>
>>> To make sure no customization has been made on my end I have
>>> completely rebuilt system: Install OS (Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS)
>>> including reformat of all drives, selected tomcat7 and ssh
>>> server during install when asked. Run apt-get update and
>>> upgrade, rebooted, checked java -version, this time shows
>>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.7)
>>> (7u55-2.4.7-1ubuntu1). So far this is out of the box setup.
>> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q5
>>
>>> Created directory /var/lib/tomcat7/lib, as this directory is
>>> referenced in catalina properties as path for common loader
>>> (common.loader=${catalina.base}/lib,${catalina.base}/lib/*.jar,....)
>>> and placed odbc7.jar into it. Now I modify
>>> /etc/tomcat7/context.xml
>> The above is the answer to the question that Mark asked you in
>> the very first response on this thread.
>>
>> You have edited the file that provides defaults. So *each*
>> deployed web application has its own copy of the connection
>> pool.
>>

>>> adding following:
>>>
>>> <Resource  name="*******" auth="Container"
>>> type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>> driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>>> factory="org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceFactory"
>>> url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@//myserver:1521/myfqservicename"
>>> username="******" password="********" maxActive="20"
>>> maxIdle="10" maxWait="-1"/>
>>>
>>> So to be clear, no application have been deployed (except what
>>> came with tomcat, ie 'ROOT"), and no user connected.  No errors
>>> in catalina.out. Now, time to check database connections:
>>>
>>> SQL>select machine, username, count (1) from v$session where
>>> machine = '**' group by machine, username;
>>>
>>> MACHINE   USERNAME      COUNT(1) --------- -------------
>>> ---------- **         ********      50
>>>
>>> When I stop tomcat all connections are gone.   Now, above
>>> context setting (except factory=... which I just added) works
>>> fine in tomcat6, java6 environment, target database is the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Could anyone sent me working pool definition for: Ubunutu 14,
>>> tomcat7, java7, oracle12c or 11gR2.  And, most importantly, is
>>> this reproducible?
>>>
>>> Thank you all again.
>>>
>>> Red
>>>
>> Mailing list rules:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users -> 6.
>> Top-posting is bad.
>>
>> Best regards, Konstantin Kolinko

> Hi Konstantin; Thank you for response and apologies for top
> posting.   I have done some more testing, and understand what is
> problem, though no solution. But I am sure those who know tomcat
> better will be able to answer right away if solution is there or
> not. It will take me a bit of time to explain, and now it late in
> NY, so tomorrow morning.  Posting this only for other who might be
> looking do not waste time replicating issue.

The solution is to put your <Resource> into your application's
context.xml and not into the site-wide defaults. Konstantin may not
have spelled-out the solution, but he did give you all the information
you needed to come to that conclusion on your own.