> > The solution is to put your <Resource> into your application's
>
> s/The solution/The best solution/
>
> > context.xml and not into the site-wide defaults. Konstantin may not
> > have spelled-out the solution, but he did give you all the information
> > you needed to come to that conclusion on your own.
>
> Another (not so good because your application is no longer
> self-contained) option is to define a global resource and put a
> ResourceLink into the global context.xml or the application's context.xml.

About "not so good because your application is no longer
self-contained" - this is normal in case when tomcat is an sysadmin
headache, and admin is bearing responsibility for both tomcat and pool
in it works well. As a programmer - my job is to connect to provided
datasource, and use it normally.
So best approach in this situation will be use of
GlobalNamingResources
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/globalresources.html#Environment_Entries
to store there my jdbc-pools and just make ResourceLink
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/globalresources.html#Resource_Links
in application's META_INF/context.xml to get this datasource from
global context.