> Hi,

>> Recently I came across an issue with excessive number of blocks of blank
>> lines being logged in the catalina output logs.
>>
>> This is easily reproducible by simply starting a clean Tomcat 7.0.59
> server
>> with enabled the following logger configuration
>>
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.level = FINEST
>>
>> The result is enormous catalina log file containing plenty of logs like
> the
>> following:

>> Mar 26, 2015 6:12:48 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
>> startElement
>>
>> FINE:   Pushing body text '
>>

>>   '
>>
>> Mar 26, 2015 6:12:48 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
> endElement
>>
>> FINE:   Popping body text '
>>

>>   '

>> The number of empty lines increases up to hundreds in a single log
> message.
>>
>> Actually this depends on the number of new lines being accumulated so far
>> for the surrounding xml element of the currently processed one.
>>
>> For example when processing the default global server.xml, on invocation
> of
>> the startElement and stopElement of each inner element
>>
>> the surrounding ‘Server’ element’s accumulated body is being logged and it
>> consists only of new lines, i.e. no meaningful content.
>>
>> As the logged information can bring such a large blocks of empty lines and
>> no valuable information, I’d like to propose these debug messages to be
>> removed.
>>
>> Can you think of a specific reason to preserve them?
>>

> I checked that and I think that the log messages can be removed as they do
> not give any valuable information, only empty rows in the log.

1) What about elements with non-empty bodies?
E.g. web.xml.

I do not believe that it is all only whitespace.

Are element bodies also logged elsewhere?

2) Sometimes people make a mistake misplacing ">"  or forgetting ">"
and what they expect to be attributes actually happens to be in body
of an XML element.

http://markmail.org/message/uvdwl5dm3rwhyyt5

3) If someone voluntary turns on debug logging,  one should expect to
deal with debug information.

I do not see why that information should be "user-friendly". If
someone is interested in debugging that component, it shall just dump
what you have.

4)  One should be able to filter unwanted log messages in
java.util.logging. (There exists java.util.logging.Filter interface.
Somewhere should be useful implementations of it.)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko