Mark,

On 4/2/15 4:47 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 01/04/2015 21:04, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
>> <miles...@gmail.com>:
>>> <knst.koli...@gmail.com>:
>
> <snip/>

>>> 1) 2) Here [1] I described what kind of checks I performed.
>>>
>>> 3) 4) I agree, but if the log entry does not give us any
>>> information it is
>> useless.
>>
>> My extensive testing shows that there are only whitespaces. As
>> there were concerns in the previous messages, my proposals are:
>> 1) Either we can keep the debug messages and 'trim' the
>> 'bodyText' that will be printed. 2) Or I can revert the whole
>> change.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> The concerns expressed were based on the view that there might be
> cases where these debug logs would show something other than blank
> lines.
>
> Your extensive testing hasn't found any cases where these debug
> logs contained something other than whitespace.
>
> Having reviewed your tests, no further tests stood out as
> possibilities that might generate non-whitespace log lines.
>
> Unless someone can come up with a configuration that causes these
> debug messages to display something other whitespace then I think
> the concerns are unfounded and that there is no need to revert the
> commit.

I'll take a look at providing a use case. The bodyText buffer is
appended when characters(char[],int,length) is called and reset after
endElement is complete. It would seem that "bodyText" would be
"pushed" any time there is an element containing text which contains
another element.

e.g.:

  <parent>
     Here is some text.
     <child>   <--- here's where Digester.startElement would "push"
                    the bodyText "Here is some text" plus surrounding
                    whitespace.
     </child>
  </parent>

I'm not sure that ever happens in web.xml, server.xml, or context.xml
where the bodyText would be anything besides whitespace.

> A different (and perhaps more useful) question would be how can we
> get the digester to emit useful debug messages (e.g. the xml
> snippet currently being processed)?

If you set the log level for
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.sax, you'll get notified of
all the SAX events. I haven't looked at the code for the rules, but I
expect that they announce the work they are doing as well.