On 01/04/2015 21:04, Violeta Georgieva wrote:

<snip/>

>>> 1) What about elements with non-empty bodies?
>>> E.g. web.xml.
>>>
>>> I do not believe that it is all only whitespace.
>>>
>>> Are element bodies also logged elsewhere?
>>>
>>> 2) Sometimes people make a mistake misplacing ">"  or forgetting ">"
>>> and what they expect to be attributes actually happens to be in body
>>> of an XML element.
>>>
>>> http://markmail.org/message/uvdwl5dm3rwhyyt5
>>>
>>> 3) If someone voluntary turns on debug logging,  one should expect to
>>> deal with debug information.
>>>
>>> I do not see why that information should be "user-friendly". If
>>> someone is interested in debugging that component, it shall just dump
>>> what you have.
>>>
>>> 4)  One should be able to filter unwanted log messages in
>>> java.util.logging. (There exists java.util.logging.Filter interface.
>>> Somewhere should be useful implementations of it.)
>>
>> 1) 2)
>> Here [1] I described what kind of checks I performed.
>>
>> 3) 4)
>> I agree, but if the log entry does not give us any information it is
> useless.
>
> My extensive testing shows that there are only whitespaces.
> As there were concerns in the previous messages, my proposals are:
> 1) Either we can keep the debug messages and 'trim' the 'bodyText' that
> will be printed.
> 2) Or I can revert the whole change.
>
> What do you think?

The concerns expressed were based on the view that there might be cases
where these debug logs would show something other than blank lines.

Your extensive testing hasn't found any cases where these debug logs
contained something other than whitespace.

Having reviewed your tests, no further tests stood out as possibilities
that might generate non-whitespace log lines.

Unless someone can come up with a configuration that causes these debug
messages to display something other whitespace then I think the concerns
are unfounded and that there is no need to revert the commit.

A different (and perhaps more useful) question would be how can we get
the digester to emit useful debug messages (e.g. the xml snippet
currently being processed)?

Mark