On 18/05/2015 11:50, Stephen Dawkins wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 18/05/2015 10:31, Stephen Dawkins wrote:
>>
>> Tomcat will call flushBuffer() internally.
>>
>> Tomcat does re-use Request/Response objects so if a reference is
>> accidentally retained to one of them you can see this issue.
>>
>> Try using:
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES=true
>>
>> (not the best named attribute but true will cause a new facade to be
>> created for every request/response).
>
> I will test with that property set.
>
>> Are those both Java threads from the same JVM?
> Yes, they're both from the same JVM.
>

>> Can you correlate seeing multiple threads with the error occurring?
>>
> Most of the time, a response is written by just one thread.
> Occasionally the last 0\r\n\r\n is written by a different thread to
> the one that writes the bulk of the response.
>

>> Unlikely but possible to be a Tomcat issue with the information we have
>> so far.
>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the issue could be?
>>
>> Are you using any Servlet 3.0 async features?
>>
> Yes, I have async enabled for the filter and the servlet that
> processes the request, and the application will likely use a different
> thread to response than processes the request.

OK. Is Javamelody async aware? In particular I am wondering if it
correctly handles the case where Servlet.service() returns after
startAsync() but the app hasn't written any of / all of the response yet.

If javamelody is wrapping the response it is going to need to handle the
async case correctly.

Mark