Hello Chris,

Thanks once again.

I can currently initialize a MessageDigestCredentialHandler object with my
desired salt, iteration and algorithm parameters and then call the
handler's mutate() method before inserting the password into my database.

And, from a servlet, the HttpServletRequest Object's login() (for example)
method works when inputting the user_name and plain text password.

However, I am still struggling to create my database input
({salt}:{iterations}:{hash}) without inputting my desired parameter
(iterations, saltLength, etc.) to a MessageDigestCredentialHandler, but
rather by getting these parameters (or the CredentialHandler itself) from
the servlet.
Without being able to do this, I don't see the purpose of specifying these
parameters in the nested <CredentialHandler> element within the <Realm>
element of the context.xml file (these parameters are retrieved from the
"storedCredential" when authenticating meaning they're not used when a
method such as request.login() is performed).

The way my code is now there is no purpose to specifying saltLength and
iterations in the context.xml file.

Thanks
_
Yuval

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <