Yuval,

On 5/23/15 7:15 AM, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
> I can currently initialize a MessageDigestCredentialHandler object
> with my desired salt, iteration and algorithm parameters and then
> call the handler's mutate() method before inserting the password
> into my database.

Good.

> And, from a servlet, the HttpServletRequest Object's login() (for
> example) method works when inputting the user_name and plain text
> password.

Good.

> However, I am still struggling to create my database input
> ({salt}:{iterations}:{hash}) without inputting my desired
> parameter (iterations, saltLength, etc.) to a
> MessageDigestCredentialHandler, but rather by getting these
> parameters (or the CredentialHandler itself) from the servlet.

What have you tried? Do you want the remote user to be able to specify
the salt size and iterations? I'd advise against that, since users may
intentionally reduce their own security (or, worse, intentionally give
you an effectively infinite salt or iteration count, which could
represent a DOS vulnerability).

> Without being able to do this, I don't see the purpose of
> specifying these parameters in the nested <CredentialHandler>
> element within the <Realm> element of the context.xml file (these
> parameters are retrieved from the "storedCredential" when
> authenticating meaning they're not used when a method such as
> request.login() is performed).

The are absolutely used when HttpServletRequest.login() is called.
That login() method ultimately calls Realm.authenticate(), which uses
the CredentialHandler. The settings in CredentialHandler entirely
handle logins for existing users.

It looks like you are struggling to create the stores credentials in
the first place (e.g. in a "change password" or "register" workflow).

> The way my code is now there is no purpose to specifying saltLength
> and iterations in the context.xml file.

Does that mean you have hard-coded the salt length and iterations in
your credential-generating algorithm? I'd advise against that because
you may want to modify the salt size or number of iterations in the
future, and you don't want to have to re-compile your code to do that.