Mark,

On 8/31/15 6:42 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 31/08/2015 07:32, Ludovic Pénet wrote:
>> I can't see what would be the risks with being able to explain
>> "This account is locked for X minutes"...
>
> An attacker performing a brute force attack has zero knowledge.
> They have to guess both user names and passwords. Telling an
> attacker an account is locked tells them: a) they have found a
> valid user so they can concentrate on the password. b) their
> behaviour has been noticed

+1

You also tell them how long they have to wait before they can resume
their brute-force attack without wasting their own time.

> Must better to let a brute force attacker pound away at a locked
> account wasting their resources and probably tripping additional
> security measures (like an IP block) for the excessive failures
> than it is to tell them what they need to do to keep the
> authentication system happy.

+1

If they are trying all passwords between "a" and "zzzzzzzz" and they
get locked-out after "d", then can just wait 5 minutes and start over
with "e" and keep going. If you tell them nothing, they may try "e"
through "zzzzzzzz" while being continuously locked-out and not realize
they have guessed the password correctly at some point.

Also, if you tell them after 4 attempts they are locked-out, maybe
they won't trip ay alarms you have rigged to look for suspicious login
attempts. IF you let them pound-away on your authentication system,
you will be more easily able to detect the break-in attempt.

>> I experienced situations where the user calls the first level
>> service desk and a ticket goes all its way to someone who can
>> read the server logs and understand the issue... Not exactly
>> optimal.
>
> I agree. That is why most organisations provide self-service
> password reset options that are linked off the login page. After a
> few failed attempts to login the user simple resets their password
> (within whatever rules the organisation requires) and carries on.
>
>> An option to trigger an exception with more details would be
>> great.
>
> The details are available in the logs.
>
> I am -1 (for security reasons) on providing any information at all
> to the end user as to why a login may have failed.

+1 (or is that -1)

Tomcat itself isn't going to divulge this information to the user. If
you want to reduce your own security in this way, it's up to you to
code your application specifically to do so.