Mark,

On 31.8.2015 12:42, Mark Thomas wrote:
I experienced situations where the user calls the first level service desk and
a ticket goes all its way to someone who can read the server logs and
understand the issue... Not exactly optimal.

I agree. That is why most organisations provide self-service password
reset options that are linked off the login page. After a few failed
attempts to login the user simple resets their password (within whatever
rules the organisation requires) and carries on.

How would that help? The username is still locked out. Even with the new password, user is still unable to log in.

-Ognjen