Let me try again Chris, I have this site www.mysite.com  ready with some x
amount of features in it

Now I need to customize this site based on regions,states, and cities.I
will most likely go with cities.

So I need my main site to redirect to city1.mysite.com .... etc based on
cookie value which I create on mysite.com(This is landing page)

what i need  is similar to as what  www.blogger.com or craiglist does.Ex
http://www.quikr.com/all-cities,https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us

when we add a blog, it creates user.blogger.com and for another user, it
creates user1.blogger.com

I am looking something similar ?

Can this be done with just tomcat or I need to front end tomcat with apache
?

Is it required to spend extra money on DNS or creating different
folder/subdirectory for each region ?

I have a single war file, and I intent to do this isolation service
layer/DB layer.

Does this make sense ?

I know its high level generic ask,but I really need some direction. Maybe I
am again vague,but I hope examples will give some direction as what I am
looking for.

- Kiran