Kiran,

On 9/4/15 12:25 PM, Kiran Badi wrote:
> Let me try again Chris, I have this site www.mysite.com  ready with
> some x amount of features in it
>
> Now I need to customize this site based on regions,states, and
> cities.I will most likely go with cities.
>
> So I need my main site to redirect to city1.mysite.com .... etc
> based on cookie value which I create on mysite.com(This is landing
> page)
>

> what i need  is similar to as what  www.blogger.com or craiglist
> does.Ex
> http://www.quikr.com/all-cities,https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us
>
> when we add a blog, it creates user.blogger.com and for another
> user, it creates user1.blogger.com
>
> I am looking something similar ?
>
> Can this be done with just tomcat or I need to front end tomcat
> with apache ?
>
> Is it required to spend extra money on DNS or creating different
> folder/subdirectory for each region ?
>
> I have a single war file, and I intent to do this isolation
> service layer/DB layer.
>
> Does this make sense ?
>
> I know its high level generic ask,but I really need some direction.
> Maybe I am again vague,but I hope examples will give some direction
> as what I am looking for.

I agree with Chris Derham: if you have DNS set up to send *.mysite.com
to your service, then all of those requests will go to your Tomcat
server; it's up to you to decide what to do at that point.

You *could* add an <Alias> (programmatically) for every single prefix
you might think of to auto-generate, OR you could just use the default
host for everything and then detect the hostname the user is using in
order to customize some part of your application.

I wouldn't bother trying to modify the configuration of the running
Tomcat... instead, I'd just use the hostname to decide what to do once
inside the application.