>>Are you sure the request is even made to the server in these cases?What if
>>the Javascript upload component is failing before it even starts?
>
> Yes the request is made in these cases. We have compared the scenario for
> greater than 2gb and lesser size file uploads and drawn the following
> inference from it.We have checked the request and content length for
> dofilter() method in our logs. The JavaScript is not the culprit in this
> case. The JavaScript sets the AJAX field to success after sending request and
> thereafter waits for response(which is not received in our case). Our
> application works fine for lesser than 2 gb fie uploads but fails for greater
> size files as the request fails to reach the dofilter() method after which
> the request can be forwarded to the requested method.

So you have an evidence that your Javascript method call returned, but
you have no evidence that browser have actually sent the request nor
that the request has reached Tomcat.

You say "the request fails to reach the dofilter() method" so there is
no evidence that the request was received.

Try debugging
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics#Common_Troubleshooting_Scenario

Try submitting the file with a simple <form>, without AJAX.

See this thread from archives of this list (August 2012):
http://tomcat.markmail.org/message/32t2glp3nbo2npag

> Struts: 2.3.24

The current version is 2.3.24.1 (released 3 months ago)
http://struts.apache.org/announce.html#a20150924

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko