From: André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 1:46 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Advice on Cluster in one machine

On 08.03.2016 14:19, Edwin Quijada wrote:
> Hi!
> I am new using Tomcat so I have a question about performance. I have
> installed a cluster with 2 tomcats and apache webserver like proxy in front
> of Tomcat cluster but this whole thing is in one server, somebody tell me
> that is not useful beacuse is in the same server that is better give more
> resources to one tomcat and not split the resources in two.
>
> Somebody here can give any advice about this configuration what do you think
> about this ? In this server I have websockets in cluster and I am having
> problems with websockets in cluster
>

> Any advice ?

Hi.

If you *really* want to test which of the configurations provides the best
results with
your particular caseload, then you will have a lot of work ahead of you to
build a
representative workload and an appropriate test/measurement framework.

Non-authoritative advice :

Intuitively, just the fact of having a front-end and a cluster configuration
all on the
same server, will already introduce a significant overhead which a simpler
configuration
would not have.

Intuitively thus, I would recommend to try the simplest configuration first,
and only if
you see problems, then measure what the problem is, and come back for help here.
No need to over-complicate your setup and maintenance before then.

Unless you need it also for something else, forget the httpd front-end and the
clustered
Tomcats, and have a single Tomcat act directly as the webserver/websocket
server.

OK, thks.
I did this configuration because I will use a lot of users to my app . Someboyd
told me that for this case is much better to use Apache like proxy to redirect
request to Tomcat besides dont use port 8080 . I have used Tomcat as webapp
before always using 8080 port but now I wanted dont use the port 8080 just use
myserver.com/app1 or use subdomains for app.

I take your advice.