On 9/8/16, 8:34 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

James, would you care to provide a (simple) patch? You'll get your
name in the changelog :)

Ok. In the initial comments for catalina.bat:

> . . .
rem   Do not set the variables in this script. Instead put them into a script
rem   setenv.bat in CATALINA_BASE/bin to keep your customizations separate.
rem
rem   CATALINA_HOME   May point at your Catalina "build" directory.
> . . .

becomes something like (and note the capitalization on the first line, to make the warning stand out):

. . .
rem Do not set the variables in this script. Instead put them into a script
rem   setenv.bat in CATALINA_BASE/bin to keep your customizations separate.
rem
rem   WHEN RUNNING TOMCAT AS A WINDOWS SERVICE:
rem   Environment Variables for are NOT set in scripts, and any
rem   attempt to set them in a setenv.bat script will be IGNORED.
rem   Instead, they are set in the Registry, and are most conveniently
rem   maintained with the "tomcat7w.exe" maintenance utility.
rem rem CATALINA_HOME May point at your Catalina "build" directory.
. . .

And the corresponding addition should probably also be made to catalina.sh, since *nix, Mac, and IBM Midrange users (all of whom would be more familiar with catalina.sh) are probably the people most likely to be unfamiliar with how things work on Windows, and to get caught by this "gotcha."

FWIW, on an IBM Midrange box, I've found that the easiest way to launch Tomcat is via a CL program (a sort of COMPILED script for the native command language), that can look through the JVMs available, and select the most appropriate one, and can also set the environment variables (and even do it dynamically, from command-line parameters).

I welcome any rephrasing on my addition to the comment block.

--
James H. H. Lampert