James,

On 9/8/16 12:47 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> On 9/8/16, 8:34 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
>> James, would you care to provide a (simple) patch? You'll get
>> your name in the changelog :)
>
> Ok. In the initial comments for catalina.bat:
>
>> . . . rem   Do not set the variables in this script. Instead put
>> them into a script rem   setenv.bat in CATALINA_BASE/bin to keep
>> your customizations separate. rem rem   CATALINA_HOME   May point
>> at your Catalina "build" directory. . . .
>
> becomes something like (and note the capitalization on the first
> line, to make the warning stand out):
>
> . . . rem   Do not set the variables in this script. Instead put
> them into a script rem   setenv.bat in CATALINA_BASE/bin to keep
> your customizations separate. rem rem   WHEN RUNNING TOMCAT AS A
> WINDOWS SERVICE: rem   Environment Variables for are NOT set in
> scripts, and any rem   attempt to set them in a setenv.bat script
> will be IGNORED. rem   Instead, they are set in the Registry, and
> are most conveniently rem   maintained with the "tomcat7w.exe"
> maintenance utility. rem rem   CATALINA_HOME   May point at your
> Catalina "build" directory. . . .

Looks reasonable. I'll adjust it slightly and commit the change.

> And the corresponding addition should probably also be made to
> catalina.sh, since *nix, Mac, and IBM Midrange users (all of whom
> would be more familiar with catalina.sh) are probably the people
> most likely to be unfamiliar with how things work on Windows, and
> to get caught by this "gotcha."

Possibly.

> FWIW, on an IBM Midrange box, I've found that the easiest way to
> launch Tomcat is via a CL program (a sort of COMPILED script for
> the native command language), that can look through the JVMs
> available, and select the most appropriate one, and can also set
> the environment variables (and even do it dynamically, from
> command-line parameters).

Would you care to create an account on the Tomcat Wiki[1] and post
your CL program? It may help someone else running in similar
environments. In fact, if you want to write-up a whole page about
"Running Tomcat on IBM Midrange", you could include that as well as
any other nuggets you've collected throughout the years.

Thanks,
- -chris

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/ (click on "Login" at the top to
create an account -- super-intuitive, right?)