From: André Warnier (tomcat) [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: 21 October 2016 09:34
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

On 21.10.2016 09:46, Moore, Jon, Vodafone UK wrote:
> Thanks Chris. (and to everyone else who has replied)
>
> Yes I am a novice at Java as well. I support the IVR system that points to
> the application servers and have ended up trying to resolve this issue as our
> developers of the applications can't help.
>
> The way we are told on the training to deploy the application in the IVR is
> to use the deploy/un-deploy options in tomcat manager. I have also seen a
> colleague make a copy of the applications war file away from its normal
> folder (webapps), stop the tomcat Windows service, delete the applications
> deployed folder and restart the tomcat windows service to re-deploy the
> application.
>
> I have tried to run the commands you suggested from a CMD box but nothing
> gets outputted.

Some additional info :

When Tomcat is running as a Service under Windows, the Java command-line
switches (which allow to control the Java memory sizes among other tings), are
stored in the Windows Registry.  The Windows Tomcat-as-a-Service installation
includes a program (named "tomcat(version)w.exe", which is a kind of GUI
Registry Editor, specially for these Java/Tomcat related parameters.  Normally,
this program is running, and appears as a small Apache icon at the bottom right
of the console.
That is the program that you should use, to change the Java startup parameters,
and stop/start Tomcat.

As explained in previous posts here on this list, and in some of the articles
to which I pointed you in Google, it may be that your issue is only that the
default PermGen size, is insufficient for your application(s), and that just
increasing the Java PermGen size would solve the problem definitely.

Or not, if the application is flawed. But you can at least try.

For the full story about tomcat(x)w.exe, try the Tomcat FAQ (which does not
seem to be on-line right now, or very slow), and look for an article entitled
"what are tomcatx.exe and tomcatxw.exe".
Ah, here : http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows